Friday, October 14, 2005

A Start

To my classmates who just happen to go across this page over the time its under construction I'll give a little introduction to what this blog would be basically about.

I just thought of it as a great idea to do something like this. I've noticed even before the first test, some already had second thoughts of dropping the class. Other than the fact that there's an advantage of taking the course, with it also comes a disadvantage. We know not everything is fair. So I thought I could try making it a bit easier? If possible a lot easier. Things will get tough, but as a class, maybe it wouldn't be so hard. Did I ever mention that this year's class is very small compared to last year's? Well since its small, it means we can all help each other out more.

Some of you probably already know. I had taken the course last year already. To make things a bit easier, I thought of starting this blog. It's a place where we can all talk about what we don't understand, what we need a little more work on, or what needs to be explained a little more. Along with that instead of a daily scribe, I'll try and post up a weekly summary of what we learned so far in the past chapter.

To those in favor of starting this blog, post "aye!"

4 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, October 15, 2005, Blogger Mrs. Ris said...

Sarah, this is awesome! I teach somewhere far away from you, with little kids who are learning their math facts.... and I only hope they grow up to be like you. Keep up the amazing work!

 
At 4:28 AM, October 16, 2005, Anonymous Jo McLeay said...

I like your reasoning, Sarah. This is how real learning happens, through collaboration. I love the idea. I think the weekly summary idea will be great for all of you.

 
At 3:11 PM, November 07, 2005, Blogger fred said...

Intriguing

 
At 4:22 PM, March 18, 2006, Blogger Lani said...

Hi Sarah,
You mentioned “Things will get tough, but as a class, maybe it wouldn't be so hard.” I think you are so right! I’ve found that anecdotes and quotes often help to say what I feel so ----

Did you know these facts about geese? Are there lessons to be learned to help your class carry the load?
Fact 1: As each goose flaps its wings, it creates”uplift" for the birds that follow. By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew alone.

Fact 2: When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front of it

Fact 3: When the lead goose tires, it rotates back into the formation, and another goose flies to the point position.

Fact 4: The geese flying in formation honk to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

Fact 5: When a goose gets sick, wounded or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow it down to help and protect it. They stay with it until it dies or is able to fly again. Then, they launch out with another formation or catch up with the flock.

You can view what others see as Lessons from the geese
here.


I am so impressed by your vision and your plan,
Best,
Lani

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

site hit counter
Stats